Recovery days can mean a lot of different things depending on who you ask. To some it means snuggling up with a blanket and watching TV. For others it is taking time to relax and step away from the normal routine. However, to stay consistent and on track to achieve your fitness and wellness goals, the best kind of recovery is active recovery. This type of recovery allows your body to heal after the hard work you put in during your workouts.
Here are three tips that will help anyone get the most out of their recovery day.
1) Enhance your mobility. Improving your fitness level without improving or at least maintaining mobility will limit your long-term results and health. Mobility is key to having good form on exercises and avoiding injuries. The best way to train your mobility is through a combination of foam rolling and active and static stretches. Foam rolling, or self-myofascial release, helps remove adhesion’s or knots while improving blood flow and reducing soreness. Stretching will improve your flexibility or range of motion on exercises. Foam rolling plus yoga is the perfect combination for your recovery day!
2) Stay lightly active. Light or low intensity aerobic exercise is proven to speed up recovery faster than total relaxation. Even though you feel like you’ve earned a full day off, your body will be in a much better place if you keep it moving. The small increase in heart rate makes it easier for your body to hydrate itself, deliver vital nutrients to your muscles, and energizes your day. The most important part is not to exercise too hard – if you’re breaking a sweat it’s too much. Meeting up with a friend for a walk, taking a dip in the pool, or doing a quickie home yoga flow will having you feeling rejuvenated and recovered the next day.
3) Have some fun! Exercise is a great way to distract your mind from daily stress, but it’s not healthy to train hard every day. By finding an active hobby you’ll still be able to give your mind the break it needs. Try replacing your exercise endorphins with laughs, smiles, and adventures. Try out a new hobby, such as photography, pottery, kombucha brewing, or whatever has interested you lately. Recovery is as much physical as it is mental, make sure you’re truly giving yourself a complete recovery.
Visit your local Youfit Health Clubs to discover new ways to work out in a comfortable environment to take full advantage of your rest days.
- Current Issue2021.04.23The Pride Center of Maryland (PCOM) Launches First Billboard Campaign
- Current Issue2021.01.31Mental Health Moment -Mindfulness and You
- Current Issue2021.01.20In Memory of Milton Lentz, February 18, 1941 – January 20, 2010 – More than a Decade Today and Still Learning to Cope
- Current Issue2020.12.26The 22nd Annual 12 Days of Christmas