Hooker & Boys celebrated 22 years of their annual fundraising event. “The 22nd Annual 12 Days of Christmas: a COVID Kinda Christmas, a Virtual Holiday” was held on Saturday, December 12, 2020.
2020 has been an extraordinary year, and no less for H&B’s 12 Days event, as we took the event to cyberspace to keep everyone as safe as possible during the COVID-19 pandemic. Shawnna Alexander and Rik Newton-Treadway were our hosts as we broadcast live from the Clifton Pleasure Club in Baltimore, MD, with the help of a skeleton crew on-site, and ASL interpreters Debbie Jones, Susan Weinstein, and Jenn Arif by remote video.
Entertainment included a retrospective of recordings from the past 20 years of 12 Days performances, as well as new recordings created specifically for this event. Attendees logged in from near and far, and many out-of-towners had the opportunity to see a 12 Days show for the very first time. The event chat was hoppin’ as people remembered some of their favorite acts from 12 Days Past, and joked and laughed with each other during the show. While we all felt the sting of not being able to celebrate together live and
in-person, one silver lining was being able to share this special 12 Days joy with old & new audience members alike.
Special thanks go to all those who performed, volunteered, or attended; to the techno geeks and troubleshooters who helped make any of this possible in this year of COVID; to the Clifton Pleasure Club for allowing us to broadcast from their space; and especially to all of our sponsors, advertisers, donors, and in-kind contributors. We couldn’t do it without you ALL.
The 22nd Annual 12 Days of Christmas raised a total of $10,000, after expenses. …not a bad way to wrap up this COVID year! This breaks down to $2,500 to each of our four beneficiaries:
● AIDS Action Baltimore, Scott H. Stamford Memorial Fund – www.aidsactionbaltimore.org
● BHT Foundation, directed donation for MADIF – www.bhtfoundation.org | midatlanticinterpreterfund.org
● Leather Heart Foundation, COVID relief – www.leatherheart.org and
● The Queen’s Guard of Alaska, Pride Prom & Youth Services – https://thequeensguard.gay
Good Hearts Really Do and Will Beat a Bad Economy! Thank You ALL!
All money raised is being donated in memory of departed family, friends, and loved ones, and in honor of all of our 22 years of attendees, performers, supporters, and volunteers.
Hooker & Boys is once again humbled by the generous donations and support that made this possible. We sincerely thank each and every one of you that have helped to make this event such a huge success every year. Whether it’s your time, talent, monetary token, goods, services, or that you are one of the many people from near and far to attend our event, YOU are the reason this event is known AROUND THE WORLD!
We wish you a happy, healthy, and safe holiday season, and A Happy New Year!
Proudly Serving The Communities,
The Members of Hooker & Boys and our Associates
- Current Issue2021.10.08Priorities for Maryland’s Commission on LGBT Affairs
- Current Issue2021.04.23The Pride Center of Maryland (PCOM) Launches First Billboard Campaign
- Current Issue2021.01.31Mental Health Moment -Mindfulness and You
- Current Issue2021.01.20In Memory of Milton Lentz, February 18, 1941 – January 20, 2010 – More than a Decade Today and Still Learning to Cope